"'Truth is strange," you know, "stranger than fiction' - besides being more to the point" - Edgar Allan Poe

October 25, 2007

[riiiiight]


Gay Indian man with a tilak and a red turban and shawl and shady moustache on Oprah discussing how most gay Indian men are forced to marry women.
The money quote?

Oprah: "So, what did you do on your first night?"
He:"I told her I had a headache".

[funny funny]

I'm not shitting you, this is happening on TV right now.

I give up.

PS: Just to note, nothing against gay people. Heck, I support it. I think it makes me uncomfortable because it's something I don't relate to. But that's exactly the same way I feel around guys who go in for arranged marriages. Good for you, not for me, that sort of thing. What DOES get my goat is how Oprah's making a public spectacle of this. Our representation in this country is comprised of Aishwarya Rai, who makes a fool of herself in English interviews; South Indian software engineers who're either hitting on the "blonde kudi who's so definitely a slut macha", or lugging their 8 month pregnant wives across the world to the BayArea just so that their children get US citizenship (both true stories I can confirm), corrupt politicians, our neighbours on the map, all that. Fuck this shit. Like a friend recommended, the next time a white man tells me I have good English (happened twice already), I'll look at his chubby little face and say "Yeah, you too".

5 Comments:

The Agony Aunt said...

At least people don't come up to you and ask in a slow loud voice, "Do you speak English?" :P

Saturday Night Takeout said...

Yeah, those people deserve a kick in the 'nads.

sunayana said...

So true. On a recent trip to the US someone asked me when I learned to speak English.

Joylita said...

Heh. Done the 'Oh! you speak good English too' bit already. Sometimes, I'm at a loss for words when the Dumb A's ask, 'But how do you speak such good English?' Sigh!

Saturday Night Takeout said...

Su_, Jpy, say what I say. MTV :)
[which is vaguely true]