"'Truth is strange," you know, "stranger than fiction' - besides being more to the point" - Edgar Allan Poe

May 22, 2007

[a letter]

I_ went trekking to the himalayas for a while, and came back and wrote this to a few of her friends. With her permission, posting it -


Its strange to write about my holiday. In some ways I can't remember much of it. [post traumatic stress?] Can't remember details, or the pictures I tried to capture in my mind.

I almost didn't go for the trek. I flew to Delhi, and then caught a fever. Was sick and wondering whether I should not go trekking. Decided I couldn't let the stupid fever not let me do it. Took antibiotics with me.

The base camp was crazy. They had a million rules. It was beautiful, in a cradle of mountains. But this camp was like what Id imagine the army to be like. 5am - Tea. 5 30 am- Something else. 6am Youve to go running for an hour... Things like that.

I haven't had rules lake those to follow in a long time. Ok, who am I kidding. I haven't had rules like those ever!

The water used to be freezing. So cold. It almost burned. I befriended a hotel owner near our camp and Id go there to take a shower. She'd let me do that for free, in her room. really sweet. Got to know lots about her.. including her love story and all that. fell in love with that lil village. You might have fallen in love with it as well.

And, we did rock climbing and basic training and we set off for our trek.
The first day was easy, and we thought it would be a breeze... but it wasn't.

The second day was the worst ever. It rained, we were climbing steep mountains and had not much to hold on to. each step would slip. It was nightmarish, and we were seperated from the group and hoping we were on the right track. Don't seem to remember much of it except the "bloody fucking hell!' feeling

We reached the camp, and Nadine and i got into our tent and laughed hysterically. We were in shock I think. It was a bad bad day and we didn know what to do other than laugh about it. And say stupid things like, 'maybe we should ask daddy to send a helicopter to pick us up'

After that day I developed what Id call 'a newfound fear of the ground' .. would walk at the speed of a tortoise, would look at every step I took twice to ensure it would not fall away under me. I got over it in a few hours, but it was an ugly slow 2 hours. After this day I was mostly happy the rest of the trek.

We saw such beautiful places in the mountains. Hidden. I guess the kind you can never see if you dont climb up to them. And we camped in places that belong in the movies, or maybe that belong to be left untouched. Id hate to see a city in those mountains.. they re so pure. Even the hash people smoke there, must be the kind that provides nirvana. how can it not? Jus out of having been grown there..

We braved hail storms and saw snowfall[my first snowfall!] and bear scares and I once had a dog come sleep on top of me in the middle of the night. It used to be cold and we were far from any comfort. No luxuries. No warm water. No nothing.

Wed drink water that melted off glaciers, and sleep in tents perched at weird angles.
but when the view outside is so beautiful...it really doesn't matter.

I thought Id miss my phone, and my city life and my alcohol and the city girl in me would suffer. Well, she did. but I didn miss any of that stuff. Not really. I wouldnt have minded a hot shower or a loo, but I didn ache for it. Wouldn have minded a shot of alcohol in the cold, but i didn long for it.

I loved it, and I didn wanna come back to the dirty city. Where everything is so jaded. But, yes, by the end of it... my eyes were longing to see a road. Just for the simple fact that Id be able to walk without having to look for a step.

Oh, and on the day we were climbing our highest mountain, my contact lens flew off. I was half blind, and that was a lil difficult.. trekking when I couldnt see. But ppl were helpful. That day of trekking in the snow, we started at 3am cos we needed to climb before the sun started to make the snow melt. Its hard to walk it then.

I just realised this is a super long mail and not even structured well, and all over the place. But I dont have the patience to edit it. So this is what you get.

Am back to my degradant lifestyle.

And my nose got burned, and peeled off!!! Didnt know we need sunscreen in the snow. Apparently it burns bad, and we dont realise it cos its so cold.
I came back tanned and burned from the Himalayas. Go figure!

Anyways, Ill go. This mail is long enough. Haven't managed to adhere to the "keep it short and sweet" rule.

Love Always,
I_

p.s. I was hoping to find some sort of revelation up there. But I guess it doesn't work that way. :)

p.p.s. was it so long that you had to take a pee break in the middle?? lol

p.p.p.s this does warrant atleast a 100 word reply.

p.p.p.p.s. I know a picture is worth a thousand words. I dont have pictures yet, maybe that justifies the thousand words???

p.p.p.p.p.s. Ok, ill get over it.

p.p.p.p.p.p.s. oh and a million more things! :) later, when i spk with you..

0 Comments: