"'Truth is strange," you know, "stranger than fiction' - besides being more to the point" - Edgar Allan Poe

October 07, 2006

TechieRant

I'm sorry, but am I the only guy who's confused by the number of javascript libraries out there? As this really well compiled list says, there are more than 50 options. FIFTY?! Whittled down even by category, it's way too much. (And it hasn't even mentioned solutions like Tibco's great GeneralInterface product. WYSIWYG-style AJAX interface design, how cool is that?) And sure, the argument is that there can be n-hajar libraries, and it doesn't matter because they're usually small, cacheable, and most importantly server generated, so there're no cross-browser, cross-platform problems. Which is all fine and dandy, aye, but jeezus, what's a developer like me to do? I have very little opinion when it comes to this, and I usually go for one that seems easy, goodlooking, and deployable fast. In fact, I've already decided on prototype+ script.aculo.us+ behaviour for this blog as soon as I hit the new beta blogger, but I can't seem to decide what to do at work, where the choice of libraries will probably affect a lot of things. And mind you, I went thru' a lot of the demos and each one seems to be quite as cool as the previous one. Aaargh!

Phew. Needed to get that out of my system.

PS- Not impressed with Dojo. Sorry, but I'm going to wait till it hits production level before I do comment more on it.

Update: looks like prototype has a nice little $$ function which does the same thing as behaviour.js. So just prototype+scriptaculous should do fine.

2 Comments:

we-hate-all-of-mankind said...

Get to work beetch.

"The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking." John kenneth galbraith

Pi said...

Is what I'm doing.

"I ain't no physicist, but I know what matters" -Popeye the sailor :)