"'Truth is strange," you know, "stranger than fiction' - besides being more to the point" - Edgar Allan Poe

August 18, 2006

Changes

Tada!

Ahem *cough*

TADAAA!!! I'm back!

Let's go through this, one at a time.

I'm really excited by the new blogger beta screenshots. Unfortunately, I've still not qualified for the beta signup, so fingers crossed till I actually do. But it looks like sticking with blogspot is paying off. The urge/ temptation to shift to wordpress (and a previously abandoned livejournal) was suppressed, and I'm so happy with these new features. Specifically, it looks like the blogger guys have embraced web2.0 (a buzzword I'd love to hate, but can't for reasons that will be explained later); there's an entire AJAX interface for messing around with the template, also features like tags (and categories?) have been integrated, I'm sure the metas associated with them should be still easily manipulable (not a word? I dunno). Sure, your custom javascript will still have to be encoded straight into the template, but that's a small payoff. They've also FINALLY upgraded their collection of templates. Thank god, their previous collection was seeming quite inadequate. I see an integration with livejournal's OpenID initiative too, soon. But to sum it up, looks like blogger's growing up. Good good. I see a spurt in blogspot signups after this (unless the government decides that blogspots are now banned because they cause corruption of the youth... or something. Whatever.) Check out the previews here.

Next, Hyderabad. Let's take a minute and thank Beatzo from the bottom of our collective hearts for treating me so well. He gave full rein to his collection, paid for my meals more than once, and did something really cool for me(If you're impatient to know, just skip this para and go to the next. Big big news, for me anyway) Now, I don't get why Hyderabad is badmouthed by so many of you. I LOVED IT. Such a beautiful city, with weather patterns that're too schizophrenic to plot on any ley lines (hehe, "ley"). The traffic's comfortable, the roads are WIDE, and the traffic policemen are courteous. Coming from somebody who's done the Blore routine for a whole year (and seen it detoriate from the mid 90's to the mixvegetablegravy it is today), Hyderabad is a heaven-sent. And the place is overflowing with Biryani. No, really, biryani's everywhere! A guy with a penchant for beer could really live it up there. Especially now that I'll be working in the same office as Beatzo.

(Say what?!)

It's true. I'm out of software, hardcore development atleast. A hastily prepared resume, a portfolio consisting mostly of all the stuff you've seen on this blog(including the webcomic, if you can believe that), 3 rounds of interviews, and my personal charm (giggle) got me a job! The work description revolves around graphic design, user interface design, etc etc, mostly stuff that means I can get away with a lot by quoting "creative license". LOL. (Yup, I said lol, so bugger off). Now excuse me while I jump around a little; I'm still bloody happy about this.

[dancedancedance]

Truth is, I'm still in a little shock about the whole thing. True, I didn't do it on a whimsy, true, I didn't want to stick with the old job, also true, I really REALLY needed to get away from family and bangalore, very true, the lure of the new job was something I knew I'd give/will give more than for the future (that line is in case my boss reads this; mind you, I might just get bored in the middle and start calling you a fascist for absolutely no reason.) However, I'm just in shock that IT HAPPENED. It means living alone, paying all the bills, being responsible(snort), and chasing a dream, cliched as it may sound. It means, for me, finding out if all the hype I surround around goals and perseverence will pay off. Time will tell. The bad thing about dreams is that they have the tendency to make you wake up in cold sweats. It scares me. And of course, it means having a place of MY OWN. In other words, the fuckpad. [the crowds go "yay!"]

[I've already been deluged by requests from friends who want to "use" the place when they're in Hyd. I wonder if I can squelch stuff off them in return. Beware, you've been warned. W/e.]

But yeah, new job, new life, same old priorities. Work like an asshole through the week, drink on the weekends, that sort of thing. And ooh, god, hope against hope, fingers crossed, finish the godammed novel. Immediate urgency is finding a place in the Begumpet area that's close to the office, and furnishing it with, um, mattresses and a net connection.

Shoutout to A_, one of the nicest women I've met in the recent past. PS- She drinks with a thirst that'll rival Ganja's. Dude, she's dying to meet you after all the stuff Beatzo and me have told her about you. Mostly though, I think she wants a turn at kicking your ass. Your problem.

Also saw Omkara. My god, somebody woke up Saif Ali Khan and taught him how to act. Stunning performance. Scary, even. Apparently the state of UP have removed entertainment tax on the flick. And considering that Saif's mom owns the damn censor board, it's gone thru' without cuts, so the language is downright accurate (or atleast sounds it). Check it out to see Ajay Devgan don the mantle of Mr. Cool. Kareena Kapoor's surprisingly tolerable. Go now, watch it.

Next. V_, I spoke to Dad about you today. We've been bonding a lot recently (over alcohol and drives, mostly), and I think he knew what I meant when I told him he'd have loved meeting you. A damn shame you're not around, really. Que Sera Sera.

At Hyd, I read -
1. Too much.
2. Not enough.
3. Blankets, by Craig Thompson.

Let me tell you why Blankets messed up my head so much. I have a theory. ("I huvuh a theoreeh". Bastards.)
I think me, my generation A part of) are growing up post-college with this major shuffle in emotions.
We replace happiness with cool content, so that we don't get attached too much to other people, and it's easier to deal with relationships when they're impersonal, if you get what I mean.
We replace sadness with moist(?) indifference and truncated humour, where we immediately distance ourselves from whatever's getting fucked up, and are able to deal with it on a more logical level.
We replace public humour with suspicion, wondering if our laughter reveals too much of our weaknesses. Only those in our inner circle(s) are allowed to see this, and everything else is just chickled at left behind in a crowd.
We reserve our genuine appreciation (the shouts of "awesome", etc) for mostly inanimate objects and/or unreachable popculture icons.
We replace sadness with anger, and refuse to cry, choosing instead to confront the source of sadness as a challene to our own constitution.
This way, we survive our jobs, our routines, our 9to5s, our personas, our social lives, whatever. A lot of this might just be presumption on my part, but everyday I seem to see it in the people around me. Is it just a post-engineering hangover, or are we all evolving into antisocial animals just to preserve what little humanity's been left behind after being shocked by the bluntness of the real world? I dunno. But anyway.
Along comes the most beautiful book I've read. Blankets. And it made me well up. And this made me angry. Mostly because I've more or less forgotten to cry, or even fake it. And my genuine happiness and glee at the best story arcs got automatically bottled up. And it bothered me so. Kept me mindfucked for a couple of days after that. Anyway, an awesome read in your less macho moments, and easily worth a buy. Strongly recommended.

Thanks for sticking thru' the whole ramble.

Work starts on Monday. Wish me luck. Lots to follow from then!

PS- For heaven's sake, stop watching those effedup news channels. Ugh. Yes, you.

8 Comments:

Rajat said...

Quite a few 'minor changes' I must say. ;-) Best of luck.

The Blogger Beta looks good.

Venu said...

Glad you liked hyd. drop in at praveena's and the other junta's place sometime (it shouldnt be too far from your place) - if you're lucky you might meet someone :-).. its one fucked up household that we lived in.. but i'm guessing you'll soon get bored if you dont make new friends..

good luck and all.. oh, and yeah, congrats :)

Pi said...

RajUp, I keep telling ya, one of these days Google's going to just announce that they're taking over the world, and we'll all be like "Oh, sure, let me know if you need any help".

Venu, I don't really want to, er, 'meet someone' at your old place. Thanks for the good wishes :)

Jeevan said...

Now, congrats and have fun. Since you bastard have a fuckpad now, you ought to make use of it, the right hand drive will get boring soon. Now, I would like more details where is you office and THE pad.

Good luck and good night!


PS: I hope you know about Virgin comics, Devi and Bangalore.

Pi said...

Thanks man. Frankly, wasn't too much incentive for the right hand drive either now. And as for using the fuckpad, I think the personality disorders affecting me in Blore will also stay in Hyd :(

Yeah, read about Virgin comics. Seems intersting. They're not releasing in India though, strangely.

Bybye :)

Kini said...

Brotherman! RESPECT!

Hoping like hell you do ok in hyd. Surprising how the supposedly more "pleasant" blore, fell to pieces. Scratch surathkal and blore. Third time's the charm! *Grins*

Cheers man and call me as soon as you read this.
Kini

P.S: The last paragraph of this post scared me. It really did. Be a big brother and say it isn't so. Please.

worldisasmallplace said...

Hey dude,

Got to know that you got your dream job atlast.
ROcking. All the best dude.

have fun.

Pi said...

Kini, I believe it to be true. Then again, I also believe in the chupacabra :P And, er, you're a goat. Beware.

W, Thanks man :) See you in Blore... as and when.