"'Truth is strange," you know, "stranger than fiction' - besides being more to the point" - Edgar Allan Poe

February 28, 2006

IntoTheLinuxVoid


"Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning "humanity to others". Ubuntu also means "I am what I am because of who we all are". The Ubuntu Linux distribution brings the spirit of Ubuntu to the software world. (ubuntu.com)

Kubuntu is an official derivation of the Ubuntu desktop operating system providing KDE support. It is part of the Ubuntu project and uses the underlying system provided by Ubuntu. However, instead of installing the default desktop package, it installs a KDE equivalent desktop (called kubuntu-desktop). (http://www.answers.com/Kubuntu)

I'm installing Kubuntu tonight. Wish me luck.

2 Comments:

All or Nothing said...

all the best

Chandan said...

Hey how was the install :-) ?
A friend of mine passed a set of Ubuntu cds a few weeks back -- 1 live cd and 1 installable.
He had requested for cds through their shipIt section and got it delivered, free of cost within few weeks, all the way from Africa... Hmm... i wonder how they are able to bare these expenses -- the cds, postage, etc.

Coming to the distro, i only tried the live cd. It has Gnome Desktop -- i would have prefered KDE though ( as in kubuntu ). It looked pretty neat. Unfortunately i couldnot configure my ethernet card in the live session, so could not get online. Thanks to my medieval eth card i could not configure network in Belenix ( live cd of OpenSolaris ) also. What an irony! I was trying out a Sun OS and i couldnot configure my network on it...