"'Truth is strange," you know, "stranger than fiction' - besides being more to the point" - Edgar Allan Poe

August 09, 2005

Wotrashi -1


[Part of this 'poem' came after a session with Vij'n'Bhush in April.
Played in Em, G, C, D. Mild prog on the starred (*) lines.]


I'm just spelling a joke that ain't funny anymore
I can't help it
I might be just paranoid
*Or something else

And when I saw you laughing
I wondered who was funny
Not me, couldn't be, so what'd you see
Or were you just laughing back at me?

Was it a clown
Who'd amuse himself and laugh back at the world,
Who're not sure what the story was anyway
*Which would be the clown staring back at them, oh the irony (the irony, the irony)

Because nothing's as it seems,
And this nothing is all I've got to show to you
You lousy rat, but hey, I'd rather you call my bluff
Than be a patronizing fool

I won't call yours
I won't even question why it was so
I'll fall in line, because, you see...
* (Em run.) Everything's a 'nothing'


I'm just spelling a joke that ain't funny anymore
And the irony of it all
Is that I'll have the last laugh
Comprende, ~Senor?

[Solo to fadeout]


PS- If you're curious, 'Wotrashi' is konkani for 'A mixture of things unrelated, in chaotic order, and which don't even have a specific reason for existing'. I don't know if there's an English word/phrase for it]

2 Comments:

Rajat said...

'A mixture of things unrelated, in chaotic order, and which don't even have a specific reason for existing'

Could it be 'mishmash'?

I have always pronounced 'wotrashi' as 'otrashi'. This word could probably have origins in 'ottu'=together + 'rashi'=many, implying "many things mixed & scattered any which way". How's that?

Saturday Night Takeout said...

Sounds about right. Then again, 'wotrashi' sounds more rustic. Pseudo-cool, somewhat :D